Enoki - "Long John’s"
It doesn’t get any lankier than this.
Description: Long John’s don’t need a lot. Just a humid spot with a temperature ranging from 72-77F (22- 25 C.) After that all you’ve got to do is kick back and watch them grow up, literally; this mushroom is all height no girth. Due to their stature Long John’s can be eaten raw or cooked and have a short cook time, allowing you to enjoy their mild flavor sooner as opposed to later.
- Scientific Name: Flammulina velutipes
- Common Name: Enoki or Velvet Shank
- Health Highlights: Long John’s are rich in various minerals, vitamins, and amino acids, making them a healthy addition to any meal. In addition to it’s nutritional value, it’s also believed that Long John’s have health benefits including:
- Cholesterol lowering properties
- High blood pressure, liver disease, and stomach ailment preventing properties
- Immune-enhancing & anti-cancer qualities